In June of 1784, Sir John Johnston brought a group of United Empire Loyalists to Royal Township No. 2, the site of future Cornwall - and an Anglican congregation soon developed. Only the fourth Anglican church built in Upper Canada, the original church building opened for worship on January 26, 1806. In 1819 King George III formally granted the land to the Church of England in Upper Canada. The current church, the former rectory (now rented to the Tri-County Literacy Council) and the adjoining churchyard cemetery (closed since 1876) are situated on that same land.
Bishop Strachan Memorial Church
The cornerstone to the second - and current - church building was laid on June 24, 1869 and opened to worship on January 17, 1875. The current church was built in memorial to the Rt. Reverend John Strachan, former Bishop of Toronto, and a former rector of Trinity Church. During the century that followed, the church was modernized, decorated and expanded, with the parish hall being completed in 1952 and renovated in 1979.
In 2018, the congregation joined the newly formed Area Parish of the St. Lawrence (St. Lawrence Parish) along with two other Anglican churches in the region - Christ Church Seaway (Long Sault) and St. John the Evangelist (Lancaster).