The Seaway Project
While the Christ Church we worship in today came into existence in 1959, our story goes back much further.
In the 1950’s, a massive construction project began with the goal of opening up the St. Lawrence River to heavier shipping traffic. This Seaway Project eventually displaced the residents of what are now known as the “Lost Villages,” a group of communities located on the banks of the river. In the process, seventeen churches were destroyed or moved. In our area this included the Anglican churches of St. David’s (Wales), St. Paul’s (Aultsville), Christ Church (Moulinette) as well as St. George’s Hall (Mille Roches).
At that time the decision was made also to close St. George’s (Gallingertown) and St. Peter’s (Osnabruck Centre), although neither location was directly affected by the Seaway expansion. Christ Church was built in the new town of Long Sault to accommodate the congregation of the old Christ Church and that of St. George’s Hall.
St. Peter’s in Ingleside became the new home of the other congregations. However, St. Peter’s was affected by structural problems which eventually resulted in its closing in 1989. Many of its members joined Christ Church at that time.
In 2014, the congregation of Christ Church (Parish of Ingleside-Long Sault) voted to request that the Bishop of Ottawa officially change the name of the parish to Christ Church, Seaway. In 2018, the congregation joined the newly formed Area Parish of the St. Lawrence (St. Lawrence Parish) along with two other Anglican churches in the region - Trinity Church (Cornwall) and St. John the Evangelist (Lancaster).